The Start of an Academic Year in Kurdistan

The Start of an Academic Year in Kurdistan, 

Students hanging out in the college yard before class starts
As you walk through the bazaars and along the streets here in Kurdistan, you will see parents with their kids, busy buying school supplies, sewing school uniforms, and getting ready to have whatever it takes for a successful academic year. College students are also busy buying new clothes, thinking of how they should dress and what to expect out of their courses this year. As for myself, I am a lecturer and being brought up in America, other things are of bigger concern to me. I am worried more about the expectations students have of me. I am worried about the first day. What should I expect? I called every friend I have to explain my worries about the first day of teaching. Will they understand my English, I asked? Will we have a nice professor-student relationship? Will they respect my class rules and regulations?

Afternoon traffic in the Duhok city
The first thing I put together was my course syllabus. “Please try to make it as simple as possible for students to understand, as we are all new to this whole syllabus idea,” says the department head. I was too thrilled that he at least let me hand the students a copy of the syllabus. They usually don't hand free copies of anything to students due to the financial issues that all colleges face here in Kurdistan.

I am teaching second year pharmacy students and from what I understand, their English is very limited. This fact has worried me a lot, considering that my Kurdish is not so good and I don't speak Arabic. My class is rather diverse; Kurds (Bahdinans and Suranis), Arabs from other parts of Iraq, Caledonians, Yazidi, etc. If I try to explain a matter in Kurdish, the Arab students will have a hard time understanding because they don't understand Kurdish (or English, for that matter).

For the first day of class, I wore a suit. “Helene is going to a job interview,” I heard my flat-mate say with a sarcastic tone. “No! I am not going to a job interview,” I snapped back, “you simply don’t understand. This is my very first day of teaching and it is here in Kurdistan. I want to be at my best.”

I walked into the class 30 minutes early with 15 copies of the course syllabi (though I asked for 30 copies). “Please have every two student share a copy of a syllabus, as we can't afford to make 30 copies for you.” I was also under the impression that only 10-15 students were going to show up out of 29 students (the number of students that I was told I would have). “In Kurdistan, students don't take the first two weeks of classes seriously, hence you will have a low attendance rate,” I was told.

I passed the attendance sheet and realized I had 24 students show up, all dressed and ready for the course to begin. They communicated in Kurdish and English with me and my replies were in English.

I handed out the course syllabi and explained that I didn't have enough copies, hence I expected every two students share a copy. Then I introduced myself and we went over the course syllabus. While walking around to explain the course rules and regulations, I was surprised to see how focused the students were and how they were underlining the points I emphasized.

I explained the point of having a syllabus and how important it is to follow it. I explained the importance of attendance and class participation. Of course, students are always curious to know what exams are going to be like. I explained that nothing would be memory-based in my class. My questions would be all patient case-, application-, and thinking-based. I also stated that when explaining anything in my class, I would try to relate it to their interaction with their patient as if they were a pharmacist.

In Kurdistan, and through so many interactions I have had with professors, students, patients and individuals that I have randomly met, I’ve learned that the curriculum here in the region is not student/patient centered. Professors teach the course based on their specialty, not what is the most applicable to the subject, which is pharmacy, in our case. For example, I was told that a professor fought to have two semesters of physical pharmacy instead of one because he is a physical pharmacist. How relevant is physical pharmacy to pharmacy? I am afraid to say, not so much.

I decided to dedicate the first class to talking about pharmaceutical care and what it means to be a pharmacist. How can you deliver the best service possible to the patient and how can this course, physical pharmacy, be utilized to deliver the best service possible to the patient? Our top priority, as pharmacists, is the patient. I ended the class with some points that the students would need to succeed in their profession of pharmacy. One of the vital factors was keeping up-to-date. I asked my students, “Do you understand what it means to keep up to date?” They did, but I was told that keeping up-to-date is a challenge in Kurdistan, considering that the college does not subscribe to any pharmaceutical journals, nor do we have access to any pharmacy-related databases.

I asked for students’ email addresses to send them some websites that are relevant to pharmacy. Out of the 29 students I have, only 7 of them have access to email. We are talking about second-year pharmacy students, the top students in the region, who don't utilize the internet or have an email account, and they are 20-23 years of age. If the pharmacy students aren't utilizing the Internet, what are all the other students in the other fields doing? Opening an email account turned into a homework assignment due by the next class. Since I mandated opening an email account, I expect the number of students with emails to increase.

This is the second week since classes have resumed, students still don't have textbooks and some of them have approached me about how worried they are.

In the middle of a lecture, we lost power and had to wait for the power to come back. They told me, “Doctora, dont worry, this usually happens. We always lose power but it comes back.” After class was over, a number of students approached me, asking about the role of the FDA and how drugs are discovered. Soon, I realized that these students have not had any introduction to drugs and drug discovery.

There are many other shortcomings here that I can mention, but all I can say is that I am a proud lecturer of 29 brilliant students who are disadvantaged….disadvantaged because they are eager to learn, but we don't have the facilities that could give them what they deserve to learn. Kurdistan is going through a drastic change in all aspects of society. The colleges of pharmacy are no exception. The colleges of pharmacy are now endorsing an American system, without having the suitable facilities to make this change possible. We, as a society, fail to plan before we endorse a system. This, itself, can damage the lives of many citizens and students. My students are overwhelmed; so am I. I try to fill them in, but there is only so much I can provide them with. Our students don't even know how to use the network service and we expect them to master in an American pharmacy curriculum like American students.

Change is a challenge, but not impossible. I am here because I know I'll face many challenges. This is my sixth week in Kurdistan. I had a bloody start with the administration and every concern I had was met by an even bigger problem. I must admit that as soon as I saw my students, all the problems I faced from the administration were put behind me. My students are the reason that I am here. It is like a mother going through the pain of labor and forgetting the pain she went through as soon as the baby is placed in her arms. I love Kurdistan and I love my students. And here, I’ll say it, if I don't handle the mindset of my people, who will?

This is *NOT* the other Iraq, this is Kurdistan
This is the beautiful and colorful city of Duhok





Comments

  1. Wow what an insight, and we take education and books for granted here. I for one have so many books barely touched as I read journals and update myself with the internet on databases relevant to my area of speciality.
    Amazing work you’re doing, I guess it is hard staying on the straight path of the curriculum if things such as lighting going off during a class or even having an e-mail to be able to communicate with your class. You don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone. I worry though as people most likely get lost in the system back home as they do here. It is tough keeping a close eye on everyone but I wish you all the best in your career, inshaAllah 6 weeks will role on to be 6 fun filled and blessed years for you and your pupils.
    Thanks for sharing this with us =) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most important asset of an organization is its employees, and I can see that you are an important asset for the university. Keep up the good work! The challenges you mentioned seem to have very simple (and low cost!) solutions, so maybe you can bring some positive change to the system. Good job and keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A spirit came to me out of this text and told me about the beauty and purity of these words. As i've learnd not to base my opinion and judgement on what i hear only ! you heard alot but that was not all true !
    samething here,i've heard alot but saw a little.

    I love and respect your high sincerity to your your job and your country. I also feel you have a great desire for change( so have i ) which is so needed. I wish you more and more of success grear Doctor.
    Waiting for more great blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Helene;
    Great to hear from you. I thought you would say goodby before leaving for Kurdistan.
    I liked you blog; you will make an excellent professor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual, Helene, your words brought tears to my eyes. You are an incredible writer....but that just might be because you are an incredible person! Your students are so lucky to have you. I'm not a pharmacist, but it sounds like you REALLY know what your students need to be effective - the ability to take advantage of the resources available (or not available) to keep up-to-date. Providing them with those tools will be so important for their futures and the future of Kurdistan. Let me know if there's any way I can help out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job and deep insight, Helene! Well done and wish you all the best with your efforts. This reminds me of my college years from 1994 t0 1998 with the infighting between the two big parties and terrible economic sanctions on us! Once I knew that there will be a tough guy like the new higher education minister in the new cabinet, I was thrilled and hoped to see he'd elimante the prolems and concerns that you mentioned here. I hope he can do what he's willing to do for a radical change in the higher education and make it a productive asset to our region. Keep us posted please. Again all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff, let's us know how we can practically assist those students?
    Dedication, transparency and accountability are what most needed in Kurdistan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to agree with Newroz, we do take our education for granted here in the US. Thanks so much Helin gyan. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job indeed, Helene! I'm sure your students are very lucky to have a lecturer like yourself. Wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Look at the Conflict as it Unfolds in the Middle East

A reality from Hawler