A Warm Hello From Europe

So here I am in the train ride from Amsterdam to Berlin.  The timing now is 6:58am sharp.  I am looking like a complete zombie.  Everyone in the train is asleep and I happen to be one of the very few still up and alert in a mood of writing my blog readers an update about my epic journey in Europe.  The train ride is scheduled for 7 hours and I know I have long hours ahead of me until I reach Berlin.  I just spend little over two days in Amsterdam and the stay was simply awesome. 

Well before I continue typing up this blog, I just want to ask that you please bear some patience with me here with some inevitable typos and mistakes in this post as I am completely sleep deprived and my body hates me for walking all around Amsterdam like non-stop.

The aim behind this post is to share what traveling really means to me and why I think everyone should do it.  For me traveling is not a simple get-away from work where I will be finding myself chillaxing in restaurants and cafe shops. Traveling is a learning process where I learn to co-exist with people of different culture, language, and race.  Through traveling I learn to build tolerance to differences, I stop judging practices that are of different from my own.  I also show appreciation to numerous empires and art via traveling. 

A taste of food and networking are a must to do whenever I see myself in a different country.  Food, language, music are some of the few features that unite nations. 

Growing up in America, I have been fortunate enough to have been exposed to new methods, ideas from diverse sources, and social and political philosophies of the world, which nevertheless have relevance to Kurdistan. However, I have faced considerable cultural barriers that prevented me from utilizing the maximum potential of these experiences and educations. Some Kurds think that no matter how many years they reside in the U.S., they will still feel like outsiders to some extend and will never fully be a part of any Western culture. So, many of these Kurds shut all the doors. On the other hand, there are American-assimilated Kurds who highly admire American culture. Their admiration causes them to become too immersed with the American practices and values, and become completely acculturated.

To break the cultural barrier, youth should be encouraged to travel abroad, learn other languages, write about their experiences and understand both Kurdish and foreign life-styles. Kurdish youth need to learn to utilize culture as a formula to achievements and investments in their own futures. Traveling to other countries and learning the language, there are opportunities for communicating with youth from other successful societies. Through travel, youth are able to collect new talents and skills during their time abroad; ideally, they can in turn create opportunities for their peers in Kurdistan.

Okay so now that I have filled you in with an update, I feel far greater.  I think I will hit the play button on my ipod touch and perhaps take a nap like everyone else in the train.  I ask that you remain in peace until we reconnect again. 

Au Revior

Helene

Comments

  1. Ahh Helene, I'm loving the holiday spirit! Keep us updated regularly and have a fabtastic time my love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that world travel is important for broadening your horizons. There are other ways to learn about other cultures, too, such as hosting foreign exchange students, offering a room for visiting foreign travelers, volunteering at a resettlement agency, going to cultural festivals, seeing foreign movies, reading travel accounts, etc. All of these will better prepare you to be a better world citizen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very interesting in what you said about the Kurdish treatment of other cultures and their culture in relations to others. I think that in general the Kurdish diaspora both failed to assimilate and failed to retain its roots. Most of the Kurds in the west are living in a "virtual" kind of world that is not belonging to any of those two worlds that they came from or the one they live in at present. It is a complicated situation that needs further research and study. Thanks Helene for these brilliant insights into travel and culture. Take care and return back safe to us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A reality from Hawler

A Look at the Conflict as it Unfolds in the Middle East

The Start of an Academic Year in Kurdistan